Founded in 1842 as a mission to the frontier and incorporated in 1847 as “a College of learning and piety,” Nashotah House is a seminary of the Episcopal Church whose mission is the preparation of men and women for ministries in the Catholic Tradition, including: the formation of priests for parish ministry, the continuing education of the clergy, and the education and training of persons for other forms of ministry, both lay and ordained.
Lay and ordained ministers who are trained at Nashotah House will be persons who will be able to:
- proclaim the Gospel with intelligence and clarity
- foster the growth of the Church and its mission in the world, and
- nurture God’s people in the saving graces of Jesus Christ.
Nashotah House commits itself to:
- the Anglican heritage of daily prayer and corporate worship in the catholic tradition
- academic discipline in the spirit of classical theological study
- preparations for practical ministry
- active attention to contemporary social concerns in light of the Gospel
- support for every student and family member in the personal challenges of vocational preparation
- continuing education for former students and others who engage in Christian ministry
- cultivation of a community that embraces all members in God’s love.