Chapel of St. Mary the Virgin – On Trinity Sunday, 1862, students, faculty, and friends of Nashotah House worshipped in the “new Chapel” for the first time. The Chapel, originally dedicated to St. Sylvanus, was begun in 1859, using plans drawn by James Douglas of Milwaukee. Simple and austere in character, the interior of the chapel underwent radical remodeling in 1893. Collegiate-style choir stalls with screens replaced the original pew-style seating, and a “dignified altar” with a gabled reredos was placed in the sanctuary. In 1907, the present choir stalls, rood screen, altar, and reredos, which were crafted by local woodworkers, were installed as the gift of Mrs. Mary Stillson. At that time the chapel was rededicated under the title of St. Mary the Virgin.