The Red Chapel (Saint Sylvanus Chapel) – This is the original chapel of the Mission and was built in 1843 on the present site of the Preaching Cross. During the 1840’s it was enlarged to serve as the parish church of St. Sylvanus. Since that time it has been restored to its original size and is used occasionally for services throughout the year and daily between terms. Originally, the chapel had a second floor where students lived. During the winter of 1844, Bishop Kemper himself lived in  “the chambers,” the excavated basement of the Red Chapel, which, being underground, was probably the warmest habitation on campus.